Is Fifth Third Bank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? We compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by Fifth Third Bank with other lenders for comparable mortgages. Nationally, here is what we find:
|Interest Rate||similar to average (-0.01%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||lower than average (-$448)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Rating||(4.0)|
On average, Fifth Third Bank’s interest rates were similar to those of other lenders (-0.01%) for a comparable set of borrowers. Its average total loan related closing cost was lower than those of other lenders, with a difference of -$448. Overall, combining interest rates and closing costs we estimate that Fifth Third Bank tends to be an average cost lender, and give it a National Rate and Closing Costs Rating of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Fifth Third Bank’s Rates by Area
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. In particular, among the markets we track Fifth Third Bank was most active in:
Furthermore, Fifth Third Bank is our top ranked mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- Cincinnati, OH, for Jumbo mortgages
- Columbus, OH, for Jumbo mortgages
- Indianapolis, IN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Charlotte, NC, for Jumbo mortgages
- Fort Wayne, IN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Lexington-Fayette, KY, for Jumbo mortgages
- North Ridgeville, OH, for Jumbo mortgages
- Atlanta, GA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Terre Haute, IN, for FHA mortgages
- Raleigh, NC, for Jumbo mortgages
- Greendale, IN, for FHA mortgages
- Midland, MI, for Jumbo mortgages
- Bloomington, IN, for FHA mortgages
- Big Rapids, MI, for VA mortgages
- Knoxville, TN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Charleston, WV, for Jumbo mortgages
- Rockford, IL, for Jumbo mortgages
You can click through to check out Fifth Third Bank’s mortgage rate competitiveness by area. Or, for our data driven ranking of all the top mortgage lenders by area, click here.
Fifth Third Bank’s Rates by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, Fifth Third Bank originated Conforming, FHA, Jumbo, USDA and VA mortgages for new home purchases and refinances. We breakdown its interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders for comparable mortgages by type in the table below.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||FHA||Jumbo||USDA||VA|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.08%||-0.13%||-0.12%||-0.03%||-0.03%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$279||-$288||-$233||-$34||-$27|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.11%||-0.17%||-0.13%||-0.03%||-0.03%|
|Interest Rate Difference||+0.08%||-0.02%||-0.17%||-0.00%||-0.01%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$643||-$123||-$482||+$28||-$139|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.04%||-0.03%||-0.18%||+0.00%||-0.02%|
As a summary, Fifth Third Bank is cheap for Conforming, FHA and Jumbo purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for USDA and VA purchase mortgages. For refinancing, Fifth Third Bank is cheap for Jumbo mortgage refinance. It is similar to other lenders for Conforming, FHA, USDA and VA mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter, and we always recommend shopping among several lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about Fifth Third Bank:
Registered city and state: Cincinnati, OH, 45263
Regulator: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
Top holder: FIFTH THIRD BANCORP
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for Fifth Third Bank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.