Is Ameris Bank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? To help you shop for a mortgage, we compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by Ameris Bank to those of other lenders for a comparable set of borrowers. Here is our review of Ameris Bank nationally:
|Review Item||Ameris Bank|
|Interest Rate||lower than other lenders (-0.16%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||lower than other lenders (-$294)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Star Rating||(4.5)|
On average, Ameris Bank’s interest rates were lower than those of other lenders (-0.16%). Its loan related closing costs were also lower than those of other lenders, with a difference of -$294. Overall, combining interest rates and closing costs we estimate that Ameris Bank tends to be a cheap lender, and give it a National Rate and Closing Costs Rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. This is an excellent rating and places it among the top 15% of lenders nationwide.
We maintain our independence by not accepting any money from the mortgage lenders we review. To visit Ameris Bank, check out its website at: https://www.amerisbank.com.
Ameris Bank’s Rate Review by City
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. For our list of the top mortgage lenders by city, click here. In particular, among the cities we track Ameris Bank was most active in:
In addition, Ameris Bank is our top ranked/best mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- Atlanta, GA, for FHA mortgages
- Gainesville, FL, for FHA mortgages
- Gainesville, GA, for FHA mortgages
- Savannah, GA, overall
- Warner Robins, GA, overall
- Raleigh, NC, for Conforming mortgages
- Carrollton, GA, overall
- Urban Honolulu, HI, overall
- Athens, GA, overall
- Griffin, GA, for FHA mortgages
- Milledgeville, GA, overall
Ameris Bank’s Rate Review by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, Ameris Bank originated Conforming, FHA, Jumbo, USDA and VA mortgages for new home purchases and refinances. Its average interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders by mortgages type is as follows.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||FHA||Jumbo||USDA||VA|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.17%||-0.24%||-0.04%||-0.06%||-0.10%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$215||-$372||+$531||-$43||-$130|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.18%||-0.27%||-0.03%||-0.06%||-0.11%|
|National Star Rating|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.14%||-0.08%||-0.01%||+0.00%||-0.09%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$528||-$210||+$163||+$0||-$493|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.18%||-0.10%||-0.00%||+0.00%||-0.11%|
|Average Star Rating|
As a summary, Ameris Bank is cheap for Conforming, FHA, USDA and VA purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for Jumbo purchase mortgages. For refinancing, Ameris Bank is cheap for Conforming, FHA and VA mortgage refinance. It is similar to other lenders for Jumbo and USDA mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter a lot for mortgage rates, and we always recommend shopping among several of our top mortgage lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about Ameris Bank:
Registered city and state: MOULTRIE, GA, 31768
Regulator: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Top holder: AMERIS BANCORP
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for Ameris Bank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.