Is KeyBank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? To help you shop for a mortgage, we compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by KeyBank to those of other lenders for a comparable set of borrowers. Here is our review of KeyBank nationally:
|Interest Rate||similar to other lenders (+0.04%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||lower than other lenders (-$627)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Star Rating||(3.5)|
On average, KeyBank’s interest rates were similar to those of other lenders (+0.04%). On the other hand, its loan related closing costs were lower than those of other lenders, with a difference of -$627. We maintain our independence by not accepting any money from the mortgage lenders we review. To visit KeyBank, check out its website at: https://www.key.com.
KeyBank’s Rate Review by City
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. For our list of the top mortgage lenders by city, click here. In particular, among the cities we track KeyBank was most active in:
In addition, KeyBank is our top ranked/best mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- Cleveland, OH, for Jumbo mortgages
- Pittsburgh, PA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Plattsburgh, NY, overall
- Medford, OR, for Jumbo mortgages
- Lehi, UT, for Jumbo mortgages
- The Dalles, OR, for Jumbo mortgages
- Logan, UT, for Jumbo mortgages
KeyBank’s Rate Review by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, KeyBank originated Conforming, FHA, Jumbo and VA mortgages for new home purchases and refinances. Its average interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders by mortgages type is as follows.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||FHA||Jumbo||VA|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.05%||-0.04%||-0.09%||-0.00%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$176||-$154||-$161||-$39|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.06%||-0.06%||-0.10%||-0.00%|
|National Star Rating|
|Interest Rate Difference||+0.12%||+0.00%||-0.07%||+0.02%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$955||-$76||-$274||-$64|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.01%||-0.00%||-0.07%||+0.01%|
|Average Star Rating|
As a summary, KeyBank is cheap for Conforming, FHA and Jumbo purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for VA purchase mortgages. For refinancing, KeyBank is cheap for Jumbo mortgage refinance. It is similar to other lenders for Conforming, FHA and VA mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter a lot for mortgage rates, and we always recommend shopping among several of our top mortgage lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about KeyBank:
Registered city and state: Cleveland, OH, 44107
Regulator: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Top holder: KEYCORP
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for KeyBank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.