Is Synovus Bank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? To help you shop for a mortgage, we compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by Synovus Bank to those of other lenders for a comparable set of borrowers. Here is our review of Synovus Bank nationally:
|Review Item||Synovus Bank|
|Interest Rate||similar to other lenders (-0.04%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||similar to other lenders (+$169)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Star Rating||(3.5)|
On average, Synovus Bank’s interest rates were similar to those of other lenders (-0.04%). Its loan related closing costs were also similar to those of other lenders, with a difference of +$169. We maintain our independence by not accepting any money from the mortgage lenders we review. To visit Synovus Bank, check out its website at: https://www.synovus.com.
Synovus Bank’s Rate Review by City
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. For our list of the top mortgage lenders by city, click here. In particular, among the cities we track Synovus Bank was most active in:
In addition, Synovus Bank is our top ranked/best mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- Columbus, GA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Augusta, GA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Huntsville, AL, for Jumbo mortgages
- Savannah, GA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Montgomery, AL, for Jumbo mortgages
- Tallahassee, FL, for Jumbo mortgages
Synovus Bank’s Rate Review by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, Synovus Bank originated Conforming and Jumbo mortgages for new home purchases and refinances. Its average interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders by mortgages type is as follows.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||Jumbo|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.03%||-0.08%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||+$187||+$175|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.02%||-0.07%|
|National Star Rating|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.03%||-0.04%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||+$27||+$133|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.03%||-0.04%|
|Average Star Rating|
As a summary, Synovus Bank is cheap for Jumbo purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for Conforming purchase mortgages. For refinancing, Synovus Bank is similar to other lenders for Conforming and Jumbo mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter a lot for mortgage rates, and we always recommend shopping among several of our top mortgage lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about Synovus Bank:
Registered city and state: Columbus, GA, 31901
Regulator: Federal Reserve System (FRS)
Top holder: SYNOVUS FINANCIAL CORP.
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for Synovus Bank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.