Is Citibank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? To help you shop for a mortgage, we compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by Citibank to those of other lenders for a comparable set of borrowers. Here is our review of Citibank nationally:
|Interest Rate||lower than other lenders (-0.16%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||lower than other lenders (-$822)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Star Rating||(4.5)|
On average, Citibank’s interest rates were lower than those of other lenders (-0.16%). Its loan related closing costs were also lower than those of other lenders, with a difference of -$822. Overall, combining interest rates and closing costs we estimate that Citibank tends to be a cheap lender, and give it a National Rate and Closing Costs Rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. This is an excellent rating and places it among the top 15% of lenders nationwide.
We maintain our independence by not accepting any money from the mortgage lenders we review. To visit Citibank, check out its website at: https://www.citi.com/.
Citibank’s Rate Review by City
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. For our list of the top mortgage lenders by city, click here. In particular, among the cities we track Citibank was most active in:
In addition, Citibank is our top ranked/best mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- New York, NY, for Jumbo mortgages
- Los Angeles, CA, for Jumbo mortgages
- San Francisco, CA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Chicago, IL, for Jumbo mortgages
- Washington, DC, for Jumbo mortgages
- Yonkers, NY, for Jumbo mortgages
- San Jose, CA, for Jumbo mortgages
- Jersey City, NJ, for Jumbo mortgages
- Stamford, CT, for Jumbo mortgages
- San Diego, CA, for Jumbo mortgages
Citibank’s Rate Review by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, Citibank originated Conforming, FHA, Jumbo and VA mortgages for new home purchases and refinances. Its average interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders by mortgages type is as follows.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||FHA||Jumbo||VA|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.18%||-0.03%||-0.23%||-0.00%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$842||-$106||-$766||-$20|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.23%||-0.03%||-0.24%||-0.00%|
|National Star Rating|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.08%||+0.00%||-0.23%||+0.01%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$721||-$38||-$1102||-$32|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.12%||-0.00%||-0.24%||+0.00%|
|Average Star Rating|
As a summary, Citibank is cheap for Conforming and Jumbo purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for FHA and VA purchase mortgages. For refinancing, Citibank is cheap for Conforming and Jumbo mortgage refinance. It is similar to other lenders for FHA and VA mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter a lot for mortgage rates, and we always recommend shopping among several of our top mortgage lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about Citibank:
Registered city and state: New York, NY, 10012
Regulator: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Top holder: CITIGROUP INC.
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for Citibank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.