Is First Horizon Bank a cheap or expensive mortgage lender? We compare the interest rates and closing costs charged by First Horizon Bank with other lenders for comparable mortgages. Nationally, here is what we find:
|Interest Rate||similar to average (-0.01%)|
|Loan Related Closing Costs||similar to average (-$219)|
|National Rate and Closing Cost Rating||(3.5)|
On average, First Horizon Bank’s interest rates were similar to those of other lenders (-0.01%) for a comparable set of borrowers. Its average total loan related closing cost was similar to those of other lenders, with a difference of -$219. Overall, combining interest rates and closing costs we estimate that First Horizon Bank tends to be an average cost lender, and give it a National Rate and Closing Costs Rating of 3.5 out of 5.0 stars.
First Horizon Bank’s Rates by Area
Mortgage lenders often set different rates in different geographical markets. In particular, among the markets we track First Horizon Bank was most active in:
Furthermore, First Horizon Bank is our top ranked mortgage lender in terms of interest rate and closing costs in:
- Memphis, TN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Johnson City, TN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Chattanooga, TN, for Jumbo mortgages
- Winston-Salem, NC, for Jumbo mortgages
You can click through to check out First Horizon Bank’s mortgage rate competitiveness by area. Or, for our data driven ranking of all the top mortgage lenders by area, click here.
First Horizon Bank’s Rates by Mortgage Type
Mortgage lenders also tend to charge different interest rates and closing costs depending on the type of mortgage. In our data, First Horizon Bank originated Conforming, Jumbo, USDA and VA mortgages for new home purchases. It also originated Conforming, Jumbo and VA mortgages for refinances. We breakdown its interest rate and total loan related closing cost difference relative to other lenders for comparable mortgages by type in the table below.
|New Purchase Mortgages||Conforming||Jumbo||USDA||VA|
|Interest Rate Difference||-0.00%||-0.05%||-0.01%||-0.07%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$237||-$118||-$10||-$57|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.02%||-0.05%||-0.01%||-0.08%|
|Interest Rate Difference||+0.00%||-0.04%||+0.00%|
|Loan Related Closing Cost Difference||-$305||-$151||-$75|
|Cost Adjusted Rate Difference||-0.03%||-0.05%||-0.01%|
As a summary, First Horizon Bank is cheap for VA purchase mortgages. It is similar to other lenders for Conforming, Jumbo and USDA purchase mortgages. For refinancing mortgages, First Horizon Bank is similar to other lenders for Conforming, Jumbo and VA mortgage refinance. Nevertheless, individual circumstances can matter, and we always recommend shopping among several lenders in your area before signing.
Other information about First Horizon Bank:
Registered city and state: Memphis, TN, 38103
Regulator: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Top holder: FIRST HORIZON NATIONAL CORPORATION
* Source of the data is Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and is for mortgages originated in the past year. Our comparable mortgages analysis controls for First Horizon Bank’s distribution of loan term (e.g. 30 year vs 15 year), loan-to-value (LTV), debt-to-income (DTI), loan amount, loan program (e.g. Conforming/FHA), loan purpose (e.g. purchase/refinance), and commuting zone. Cost adjusted rates were computed based on each percent of the loan amount in above average loan related closing costs being worth +0.15 of a percentage point in interest rate. Furthermore, the amounts are regularized using a Bayesian approach to control for small samples.